American Red Cross Certificate Program
The Princeton Family YMCA is an American Red Cross Authorized Provider. ARC Lifeguard training will teach participants the knowledge and skills needed to prevent and respond to aquatic emergencies. The course content and activities prepare participants to recognize and respond quickly and effectively to emergencies and prevent drownings and injuries.
General Course Information
- Minimum 25-hour course, not including required pre-course test (details below).
- Upon successful completion of the course (see Certification Requirements below), candidates will earn an American Red Cross Lifeguard/CPR/AED/First Aid certificate, valid 2 years.
- Must be 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of the course.
- Must be able to swim 300 yards continuously, demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Complete the following within 1 minute, 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance under water. Exit.
- Tread water for 2 minutes, using legs only.
- The Princeton Family YMCA will provide the following items: 1 resuscitation mask, 1 pair latex-free gloves
- An American Red Cross Lifeguard Manual is required. Candidates are responsible for providing their own Participant Manual. Candidates may use an e-book format with a laptop or tablet (Wi-Fi available) or print the materials out themselves. Link to the Lifeguard Manual can be found here:
- Online Viewer – not compatible with portable devices or readers. Books can be printed by Princeton Family YMCA for an additional $25.
- Students will be expected to bring their own bathing suit, towel, writing utensils and comfortable change of clothes.
- Attend all class sessions.
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills and activities.
- Demonstrate competency in the three final skill scenarios and correctly answer at least 80 percent of the questions in the three sections of the final written exam.
- Refund Policy:
- Full refunds will be given only if the Princeton Family YMCA needs to cancel the course (low enrollment).
- Students who do not call and do not show will receive no refund/credit.
- Students who cancel prior to the start of the course are entitled to a transfer/credit for the full amount, but not eligible for a refund.
- Lifeguard candidates who do not pass the pre-course session and return all materials (unused) will receive a 50% refund.
- Candidates who choose to stay in the course and do not successfully complete the course will not receive any refund of course fees.
Course announcements will be made via our web site when dates are scheduled – please check the site often or contact the Aquatics Director for information. All Full-Facility Members, Program Members, and non-members may participate.
Refund Policy for all ARC Certification Programs
Full refunds will be given only if the Princeton Family YMCA needs to cancel the course (low enrollment). Students who do not call and do not show will receive no refund/credit. Students who cancel prior to the start of the course are entitled to a transfer/credit for the full amount, but not eligible for a refund. Lifeguard candidates who do not pass the pre-course session will receive a 50% refund. Candidates who choose to stay in the course and do not successfully complete the course will not receive any refund of course fees.
Individuals needing a rowing test must:
- Come to the YMCA during a scheduled YMCA open/lap swim time
- Pay a daily guest fee $5 and complete guest fee waiver (if not already a full-facility member)
- Pay a $10 testing fee
- Present their receipt and testing sheet (provided by the rowing club) to the lifeguard upon entering the pool area.
If the pool is busy, the lifeguard may ask for the participant to wait until some lap/open swimmers have left, before completing their test.
For more information, contact: