Stay tuned for our next lifeguard course announcement!
American Red Cross Certificate Program
The Princeton YMCA is an American Red Cross Authorized Provider. ARC Lifeguard training will teach participants the knowledge and skills needed to prevent and respond to aquatic emergencies. The course content and activities prepare participants to recognize and respond quickly and effectively to emergencies and prevent drownings and injuries.
General Course Information
- Minimum 25-hour course, not including required pre-course test (details below).
- Some classes are taught as “Blended Learning”, allowing participants to complete some classroom portions before the first day of class.
- Upon successful completion of the course (see Certification Requirements below), candidates will earn an American Red Cross Lifeguard/CPR/AED/First Aid certificate, valid 2 years.
The following requirements must be met and checked off by one of our Lifeguarding Instructors prior to or at the beginning of the first day of class. Participants unable to complete these skills will not be allowed entry to the class, as per ARC policy.
- Must be 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of the course.
- Must be able to swim 300 yards continuously, demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes, using legs only.
- Complete the following within 1 minute, 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance under water. Exit.
- The Princeton YMCA will provide the following items: 1 resuscitation mask, 1 pair latex-free gloves
- An American Red Cross Lifeguard Manual is required. Candidates are responsible for providing their own Participant Manual. Candidates may use an e-book format with a laptop or tablet (Wi-Fi available) or print the materials out themselves. Link to the Lifeguard Manual can be found here:
- Online Viewer
- Books can be printed by Princeton YMCA for an additional $10.
- Students will be expected to bring their own bathing suit, towel, writing utensils and comfortable change of clothes.
- Attend all class sessions in full – only one course runs at a time, therefore there are no makeup classes.
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills and activities.
- Demonstrate competency in the three final skill scenarios and correctly answer at least 80 percent of the questions in both sections of the final written exam.
- This is a lifesaving course. Participants are expected to take the course seriously and act with a sense of professionalism and urgency for their skills. While our instructors work with each student to set them up for success, this is ultimately a course that some may be unsuccessful in completing.
- Refund Policy:
- Full refunds will be given only if the Princeton YMCA needs to cancel the course (low enrollment).
- Students who do not call and do not show will receive no refund/credit.
- Students who cancel prior to the start of the course are entitled to a transfer/credit for the full amount, but not eligible for a refund.
- Lifeguard candidates who do not pass the pre-course session and return all materials (unused) will receive a 50% refund.
- Candidates who choose to stay in the course and do not successfully complete the course will not receive any refund of course fees.
Refund Policy for all ARC Certification Programs
Full refunds will be given only if the Princeton YMCA needs to cancel the course (low enrollment). Students who do not call and do not show will receive no refund/credit. Students who cancel prior to the start of the course are entitled to a transfer/credit for the full amount, but not eligible for a refund. Lifeguard candidates who do not pass the pre-course session will receive a 50% refund. Candidates who choose to stay in the course and do not successfully complete the course will not receive any refund of course fees.