In 2008, the Princeton YMCA celebrated a century of helping develop strong kids, strong families and strong communities in the Princeton area.
Princeton University became the “parent of the intercollegiate YMCA” when the first YMCA college structure, Murray Hall, was built in 1879.
In 1908, the student YMCA at Princeton University founded the Town Club for boys under 16 years old.
The Dorothea House was used as early as 1938 as one of the first Princeton YMCA buildings.
The YMCA/YWCA building in Princeton opened in 1958 at its present location. The pool opened the following year.
The Princeton YMCA offers over 15 specialty summer camps.
Nationally, YMCA day camps serve 500,000 children each summer.
The Princeton YMCA provides 6,000 sessions of swimming lessons annually.
YMCAs are collectively the nation’s largest provider of child care programs – serving over half a million children.
Nationally, the Ys have more than 600,000 volunteers.
In 1994, the YUSA launched a character development thrust focusing on the core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
In 1961, President John F. Kennedy established the Peace Corps, which was patterned after the YMCA program of World Service Workers.
The 1919 YMCA Swimming and Lifesaving Manual was one of the earliest works on the subject.
Father’s Day, an idea of protestant ministers at the YMCA in Spokane, WA, was first observed on June 19, 1910.
The first group swim lessons were taught in 1907 at the Detroit YMCA.
YMCA instructor William Morgan invented volleyball in 1895.
Using peach baskets tacked to a gym wall, Dr. James Naismith, invented basketball at a Massachusetts YMCA in 1891.
The nation’s oldest continuously operating camp is a YMCA camp – the first at Orange Lake, New Jersey in 1885 with seven boys and one leader.
YMCAs are at the heart of community life in 10,000 communities across the nation.